Château Lamartine South West
About Château Lamartine
Chateau Lamartine was built in 1922 on the site of a century-old oak tree. Local legend recounts that in the Middle Ages this was where Martine, the daughter of the local Baron, would meet her various suitors. As a family property that dates back to the Middle Ages, these vineyards survived the Gallo-Roman wars as well the invasion of phylloxera in 1878.
Born in the Chateau itself, the current winemaker/owner, Alain Gayraud, took over from his grandparents in 1975. Encompassing 28 hectares of vines that range in age from 20 to 120 years old, the Domaine is in the westernmost reaches of the Cahor appellation, making Chateau Lamartine the only Cahors domaine that benefits from the influence of the Atlantic. Here, the vineyards occupy the best micro-climate along the Lot River, all with southern exposure on the oldest terraces in the appellation, where the soil consists of a limestone base with a plethora of stones.
At Chateau Lamartine, Alain farms lutte raisonnee and spends 2,000 hours per vintage green harvesting, to attain the naturally low yields he seeks. The roots express great depth, so the vines are rarely over stressed, yielding balanced wines, even in the hottest of years.
Alain’s children Lise and Benjamin are now working alongside their father, carrying on family tradition that goes back several generations. They are also close to getting their vineyards certified organic.